Friday, December 14, 2007
Merry Princemas and A Happy Cake, too
Ed and I bought our first Christmas tree this year. It was exciting, but we ran into the inevitable "clash of the traditions . . . "

My idea of a Christmas tree is one covered in colored lights and a zillion mismatched ornaments that all have special meaning. In fact after Christmas last year, my mom gave me all of "my" ornaments to use on my own tree.

Ed's idea of a Christmas tree is one covered in clear lights with matching ornaments.

The one thing we agree on? No matter if they are color or clear, there must be many lights. Many MANY lights.

So we compromised: I found a set of deep purple and red ornaments that matched, but at least were in my favorite colors. Ed bought lights that were in color, but only ONE color. Purple actually. We also managed to find purple candy canes and a beautiful purple tree skirt. We finally got it all dressed up and the moment came to turn it on. Amazing. If you had to picture what Prince's Christmas tree looks like, this would be it. (P.S. There are 1650 lights on our tree).


I also decided that this was the year to make my first gingerbread house. Umm . . . here's a tip: Do NOT over-thin the icing. Otherwise your "snow" will "melt" right off the roof! Also, it's wise NOT to drop the cookies on the floor. They break.


In other news, in the spirit of finding new hobbies, I'm taking a cake decorating class. While practicing my icing techniques, I made my first real layered cake this week for Ed to take to work. I'm am rather proud of myself.

1 Comments:
Blogger LadyB said...
Funny- I must have lucked out with Damon, we have similar view about christmas. We like rustic and we like one color of lights... You should see ours this year (oh wait, you will!)- I am totally proud of it.

How fun to start to make your own family memories.